*Article by Corri Anna at Femiology
So, being a HUGE discount queen (hey it’s fancier than calling myself cheap haha), I’m always on the lookout for great deals. While shopping online at Walmart.com and Amazon is convenient, I realize that there are so many things you can just buy at Dollar Tree! Why waste your hard-earned money buying these exact same items at any drugstore or online for more money? Can you believe all this stuff’s a BUCK?? Continue reading below!
- Coupon books – These are pre-labeled books you can use to organize your coupons into the little slots! I love these! Great investment for a buck!
- Cotton swabs – A box of 170 Q-tips at CVS is $2.79. The same amount at the dollar store is… well, a dollar. It’s not the Q-tips brand, but I see little difference.
- Kitchen utensils – If you need a baster, a soup pouring spoon, a spatula, knives, etc. Dollar Tree has it!
- Medicines – Ibuprofen is like, $4-5 dollars for a 20 pack at Walmart?? Get it at Dollar Tree, same medication, just without the brand name!
- Double-sided tape – You can get 130 inches of this tape at the dollar store. This is a shorter tape than the 450-inch roll for $4.79 at Staples, but it is still 1/5 cents cheaper per inch.
- Cleaning supplies – you can find TONS of cleaning supplies here from laundry detergent to glass cleaners and even dish-soap!
- Paper clips – A pack of 100 vinyl-coated colored paper clips for a dollar versus 60 of the same for $2.49 at Office Depot.
- Wax paper, Parchment Paper & Tin Foil – These are hard to compare price-wise because the square footage is different in the boxes at the dollar stores than the boxes in the regular grocery stores. However, there are still cheaper per inch. Plus, I don’t use these items that much, so I don’t want giant rolls taking up my limited drawer space in the kitchen. I also really like the pre-cut pop-up foil sheets that are huge frustration savers.
- Holiday decorations – Every month there is an aisle full of new holiday decorations. These are cheap and fun gifts for the kids or a little seasonal pick-me-up for the house or office. Can’t beat the price.
- Envelopes – WITH the pre-licked (just kidding, I mean self-adhesive) tops!
- Baby wash and oil – My friends use the baby wash as a bath wash and the baby oil lotion is strictly a lotion but goes on smooth, sinks right in and is absolutely not oily. So don’t buy expensive, overly perfumed lotions and bath washes, you will no be disappointed with these two products.
- Tupperware containers – plastic containers to store your leftovers in. I’ve found sets of 2-4 containers at our local Dollar Tree, as well as a large cake-sized container.
- No Damage Hair Elastics – A package is $2.39 at CVS. No brainer!
- Candy – If you take your own candy into the movie theater, then getting your candy at the dollar store is the way to go as you can save up to $4 per box of junior mints or M&Ms. You’ll see a lot of off-brand candy, but don’t be turned off. There is plenty of brand name candy as well, like Snickers, Butterfinger, and Tootsie Rolls.
- Picnic supplies and utensils – Awesome for parties! And YAY for fewer dishes to wash!
- Socks – From exercise socks to holiday socks to warm fuzzy cozy snuggle socks! Can’t go wrong here!
- Batteries – I’ve seen AA, AAA and watch batteries.
- Undergarments – Good cotton underwear, socks, even mittens.
- School and home office supplies – I seriously get all my papers, pens, notebooks, tape, staplers and colored pencils here. Good deal.
- Calculator – AWESOME deal! Put 2 and 2 together on this one. Haha, get it?
- Locking plastic baggies and garbage bags – You can pretty much get any off-brand Ziploc bags there, and they sell Hefty brand bags too!
- Books – for all you bookworms out there.. the genres are limitless!
- Greeting cards – YES!!! Two for a $ at Dollar Tree…. how can you go wrong??
- Groceries – A number of my friends and family members RAVE about the groceries and foods they have eaten from dollar stores. While quality varies, the list included organic soymilk, flax seeds, various bags of beans, veggie/fruit “green” bags, dry onion soup mix, canned soups.
- Shampoo and conditioner – I’ve seen Suave brand, V05, etc. Pretty good deals!!
- “Silk” flowers and fake leaves/ fruits – put these in a basket they sell and viola~ A fruit basket!!
- Gift bags and wrapping paper – the whole back wall is full of wrapping paper, gift bags, and ribbons!
- Hydrogen peroxide and alcohol – Perfect for starting a first-aid kit!
- Puzzles, board books, and coloring books – great for keeping the little ones busy!
- Mops, Brooms, Dustpans – clean house happy family!
- Washcloths, kitchen towels – these are pretty good quality, I dunno why I paid $3-6 for each one at Walmart!
- Trays and containers – Sterno trays and other aluminum containers. I love using these as serving dishes for meals!
- Baking trays and cookie sheets! – I also found disposable casserole dishes
- Cheap eyeglasses – one of my friends swears by these, she loves them!
- Balloons – they can blow up any for you and you can also buy packs of different colored balloons.
- Cell phone car chargers – I’ve seen them at Dollar Tree before.. who woulda known?
- Cell phone covers – I found some at Dollar Tree for the iPhone 4 and 5.
- Chips – many different kinds. I’ve seen Pringles, potato chips, pretzels, Lays, etc.
- Small flashlights – perfect for your emergency kit!
- Small puzzles (usually Disney) – what a cute idea for a kid’s birthday gift! And the Disney brand! Awesome!!
- Scotch tape as well as packing tape – stick to these and you’ll never go wrong! Ha!
- Small Christmas presents and stocking stuffers – during Christmas time there are TONS of Christmas gifts and fun toys you can wrap or add to loved ones’ stockings!
- Tableware – Dollar Tree has a good selection of tableware from bowls, plates, glass and mugs to utensils!! All the same brand, different styles, and all $1 per piece.
- Nail polishes – they have TONS of different colors there any as far as I’ve tried them, I don’t see a difference in their quality versus drugstore bought nail polish!
- Makeup – the Dollar Tree by me sells pretty good quality makeup. I’ve seen Maybelline, ELF and some L.A. Colors brands!
- Hazelnut Wafer Twists – yummm those delicious chocolate-filled wafer sticks that everyone loves… and the same flavor as Nutella. Yum again.
- Tissues – Kleenex, Puff’s, paper towels, and toilet paper!
- Noxzema razors – Apparently they give you a good shave and do not nick like cheap Bics.
- Wipes – antibacterial cleaning wipes as well as moist towelettes and baby wipes!! I keep them in the glove compartment of my car and use them to clean up spills, wipe down my desk, wash my hands when I’m on the go, I’ve even used them to remove make-up in a pinch.
- Rubber gloves – Save a couple of bucks by buying these at a Dollar Store!!
- Cotton balls and cotton swabs – They normally cost between $2 – $4 at drug stores.
- Baby powder – perfect for moms who don’t care to spend so much on the same product at a drug store.
- Hand sanitizer – little bottles, big bottles, you’ll find them at a dollar store near you!
- Pregnancy tests – Dollar tree has them for $1 while the name brand ones anywhere else can be $10-$15! And if you’re wondering, they’re 99.99% accurate and so much cheaper at $1.00!
- Animal toys – I’ve bought dog chew toys, cat collars, and toys, catnip here, etc. They have a HUGE selection, and in case you have an animal prone to demolishing toys, you can always go back and get another, they’re only a dollar!
- Bleach – goes along with cleaning supplies
- Little plastic tube squeezers for toothpaste and ointments – they also have empty spray bottles for those of you who make homemade cleaning supplies!
- Juice Boxes – It’s hard to find 100% juice at most supermarkets, and when you find it, it’s pricey. The local Dollar Tree sells four-packs of 100% juice boxes, some of them organic. They’re smaller than standard size but perfect for little ones.
- Toothpaste and floss – pretty good deal!
- Toothbrushes – how could I forget?
- Hand soaps – I’ve seen Soft Soap brands here, normally for $2-3 at Walmart and drugstores. They even have cute bathroom containers you can put hand soaps and lotions in!
- Makeup remover cloths – my siblings swear by these, and they don’t leave your face too dry or oily!
So I’ve told you all the REALLY GOOD DEALS you’re getting by shopping at a Dollar store FIRST, but I’m about to let you in on a little secret that’s going to SAVE YOU EVEN MORE $$$ and absolutely blow your mind. Ready for it?
MOST DOLLAR STORES ACCEPT COUPONS!!
So next time you build that long grocery list, be sure to swing by your local dollar store and find the best deals there FIRST! And by all means, use coupons! Then, feel free to carry on with life!
About the Author:
Corri Anna Matheson is a stay-at-home Mom and a long-time blogger, self-proclaimed chef, actress, model, web designer, extreme couponer, marketing specialist, cat lover, Wife to her true love, and Mother of two beautiful, happy children. Her blog, Femiology, is a women’s lifestyle blog that shares fashion and fitness advice, recipes, crafts, DIY activities, couponing tips, and family fun. She spends her time doing all the things she loves.